Hurricane Ike

I have survived my first big hurricane. Living in NY and VA we would get the remnants of some hurricanes. No big deal, some rain, maybe a few wind gusts. Moving here, I figured I’d get to experience a real hurricane. I even joked about it last year when we moved here, I said I bet we’ll have a hurricane either this year or next. And sure enough, we did. Many hurricanes and tropical storms threatened to come close and didn’t. It was almost like crying wolf. I’d make sure the pantry was stocked, that my gas tank was full and that I had enough batteries and candles. This time was no different. I didn’t expect it to actually hit us though. I expected that last minute turn.

So, Friday afternoon, the wind started to pick up. The sky was beautiful! Slowly, the storm rolled in. We were NOT in an evacuation area. We live about 75 miles from the coast. We put the kids to bed figuring they’d be awake in a few hours when the wind started howling. MSJ went to bed. I stayed up as usual watching TV and chatting online to a friend.

At 11:30pm, I heard a POP and the electricity went out. No rain yet and only very little wind. Weird. MSJ got up and we got things ready. The wind and rain didn’t pick up too much… so we ended up going to bed. The storm woke me up a few times, every hour or two. The wind and rain finally picked up in the overnight hours. I checked on the kids each time, they were all sleeping like babies. It was kind of neat, I’ll admit. Being IN a hurricane. It wasn’t scary at all, but it was only a category 2, probably a 1 by the time it reached us.

Around 5am, BIL called and said his roof had collapsed and a window was blown in and they had to drive a few blocks to my FIL’s house. FIL and BIL went back to the house to try and get something up so the rain wouldn’t destroy the whole house! Their fence was completely gone too! We checked the house and at this point noticed the foyer and dining room were wet. Rain was coming in through the front door and windows. The study windows had water on the window sills. We had to clean all that up. Then we went back to bed for a little while. As daylight approached, the wind and rain picked up, the kids got up. When upstairs I noticed water was coming down through the attic access door… that wasn’t good!! MSJ got up there and saw a hole in the very top of the roof. The ridge vent (?) had been ripped off. We put some towels up there and waited.

As the wind died down a little, I stuck my head out the front door and took some pictures. It poured until about 4pm, but the wind was back to “normal” speeds a little after lunch time. We saw our trees were down and our fence was leaning. But, our house was fortunate to only suffer minor damage. We ended up taking a ride later that evening and saw the rest of the neighborhood. BIG trees were down! Fences gone. Roofs tarped up. On Sunday, after church (which didn’t have power either), we went to my in-laws. I got to see first hand what BIL’s house looked like – completely unlivable. And the roads were still flooded, whole fences gone, huge trees down, some places looked like a twister had ripped through it. Signs were down. Power was out everywhere. Amazing.

We ended up being without power for FIVE days!!! In a way, it was peaceful… for the first couple days… LOL! Then I had had enough! I wanted my internet and my TV!!!!!!!! The kids were going to be out of school ALL week and MSJ was going to be home through Wednesday. I worked on some of my books a little, but that required my laptop to run on battery. A friend of SILs got her power back so they lent us their generator. We were able to power up a few things and I used it for my laptop, still no internet, but now I could listen to music and write. It was something.

My phone was able to download emails and that kept me sane. We went to the parking lot of a store with WiFi and I sent out an email. Friends texted me which was pretty awesome!! That kept me more sane. And a few of my friends even called me on my cell! I had to go outside to talk on it! But, it was there and I had contact with the outside world!

MSJ decided he wanted a bigger better generator to keep for us. A store nearby had one and he left Wednesday to get it. Once it was hooked up, it was MUCH quieter and I was able to watch TV! WOW!! The devastation just an hour from us was humbling. Sure, we were without power, but it was nothing like what these poor people were going through. I prayed long and hard seeing all the damage that was done. My family was safe. My home was safe. At that point, that was all that mattered.

Late that night, our power was restored!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!! It was wonderful!

After this experience, I now know what to expect. I will be better prepared next time. And if a category 2 can do this kind of damage… I can’t imagine what a 4 or 5 would do and I certainly wouldn’t stick around to see what a 5 can do!

Thank you to all those who kept us in their prayers, thoughts and wishes. Thank you to those who called, texted and emailed to keep me sane!! I REALLY appreciate it!


1 Comment »

  1. junecleaverwouldbeshocked Said:

    Stupid Ike. 😡 I hate that you guys were without power for so long – but glad you at least had a cell phone! Hope there are no more for you to deal with for a while…

{ RSS feed for comments on this post} · { TrackBack URI }

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: